Monday, August 16, 2010

"natural" childbirth

I am 30 and the mom to a beautiful 6-month-old baby boy.  

We always said we didn't want children.  Then, last Spring, we decided to give it a try.  Whoa!  We got pregnant on the first try. I took a pregnancy test after my 1st missed period, and it gave us a false negative.  Three weeks later  I posted on FB that I wasn't feeling well, so a long-time friend asked if I was pregnant...I immediately deleted the post and took a pregnancy test.  After a "what have we done" moment alone, I realized this was it.  My husband was out of town.  I went out to dinner with my very best friend (who was 8-months pregnant and took me baby shopping) and didn't say a word.  I googled "how to tell your husband you're pregnant" and decided to give him a bib that says, "I Love Daddy." The next day, July 4th, I gave him the bib when he stopped through town on his way to the next show.  We immediately called my parents, who lived out of town, then headed to his parents' cook out.  His mom had a baby ring ready to give me.  She said, "I had a feeling."  I wore that ring around my neck on a necklace until the day Miles was born.  My husband played his evening gig, and the band told the whole town he had a baby on the way...ready or not, EVERYONE knew!               

I had already started seeing a midwife in an OBGYN practice.  I felt this was the best of both worlds.  I wanted natural childbirth in a hospital.  At my 40-week appointment, the baby's fluid was low and the baby was measuring very big.  They made a decision to induce me.  (We didn't know the sex of the baby.)  I made it through labor beautifully on the yoga ball and in the water.  The midwife attempted several times to maneuver  the baby's head into the proper position, but he just wouldn't cooperate.  After 12 hours of labor, I got an epidural, and Miles was delivered by suction (with the help of a Jamaican doctor who watched Olympic bobsledding through my delivery, really!).  

I knew the whole time he was a boy...ask anyone : )   He is named after Miles Davis, a famous jazz trumpet player.   

Sadly, exactly one week after his birthday, I started hemorrhaging.   My husband had to call 911, and I was taken to the local hospital.  Sweet baby Miles slept through the entire ordeal.  They let him come into the ER room to nurse.  I had to have a DNC, because my placenta did not detach correctly from my uterus.  The 3 of us spent 2 nights in the hospital together.  

It took me 6 weeks to feel like a human being again, 3 months not to relieve my experience daily, and 5 months not to feel the pain from my epidural.  

Surprisingly, I am ready to do it all again, just not tomorrow!  

           




1 comment:

  1. Shelley,
    I loved reading the story of Miles. Thank you for sharing your journey of bringing him into the world and I hope you'll keep posting!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete